Developing extraordinary healthcare leaders is
one of the most important accelerators you can do for your organization. Leadership is and always has been the
greatest “force multiplier” on any battlefield.
The need may be particularly acute in the changing world of healthcare. Often, we promote clinicians into positions of leadership only to see them struggle. (Just because someone is a great nurse does not mean they are ready to be a Director of Nursing!)
For over 25 years, the founders of VisionBound International have worked to bring together the very most challenging content into a competency and assessment based system for developing healthcare leadership. Developing truly great leadership is not done merely through a series of training events. It is a deliberate process involving a variety of interlocking factors.
The dozens of courses and workshops can be thought of as an array of Lego bricks which can be customized into the exact program your team needs, based on comprehensive assessment tools. The content is typically organized into six distinct academies, each designed toward developing a specific level of leadership.
The Executive Leadership Academy: Develops the strategic and operational leadership competencies needed for your most senior healthcare leaders. Typically an eight day program delivered over a year, often starting with a strategic offsite.
The Emerging Leader Academy: Here we cherry-pick your up and coming brightest stars and develop them into your future leaders in a year-long process that includes mentoring and a leadership project.
The Leadership 101 Academy: Develops your current first line and mid-line leaders such as DON’s by providing them the critical skills they need for success.
The Advanced Leadership Academy: Ideal for maturing leaders. It provides powerful skills in a series of advanced programs, preparing them for even higher levels of responsibility.
The Customer Loyalty Academy: Creates a culture of customer service excellence that wins you truly loyal customers.
The Personal Leadership Academy: Develops individuals who know how to “find their flow” and improve themselves in all areas of their lives.
The Tactical Leadership Academy: Develops practical, grounded skills and techniques for managers of all levels to create a more efficient, compliant, and forward looking organization.
We typically begin the process through a series of no or low-cost organizational surveys to give you a clear starting point view into the culture of your company and the feelings, ideas and opinions of your staff. Using these and other tools we can then customize the content of the Academies to exactly meet your most pressing needs. This is no “cookie cutter” approach because your team is unique in every way. We can also include our Strength Based Leader 360 Degree Personal Profile which provides each leader a powerful self-assessment tool for creating a personal path to greatness.
The full program can be read and downloaded from this link. A quick reference guide to the content scrolls below.
Information on the Strength-based Leader 360 and the various assessment tools can be found here.
Our cruise based programs for developing leaders are linked here. They are a great way to begin the process by getting away from it all!
Conferences and Speaking Engagements
Kevin and the VisionBound team are also available for keynote presentations and breakout sessions at conferences and other educational events. A more detailed description of our sessions is available here.
Institute Modules and Courses
The Institute is designed to bring both individuals and leadership teams to new levels of effectiveness. To be effective long-term leaders and individual performers, we must be able to first and always lead ourselves, then lead others, next lead teams, and finally lead organizations.
These modules are normally 2 hours in length, except when noted otherwise. Based on our team and individual assessments, we prioritize needs and build modules into a customized institute for your team.
The skills needed by all people to be successful. These refer to the personal skills needed to lead effective, meaningful lives and be role models to others. These skills are very appropriate for staff and faculty as well.
- Managing Stress (LS-1)
- Managing Time (LS-2)
- Personal Goal Setting (LS-3)
- Personal Ethics (LS-4)
- Emotional Intelligence (LS-5)
- Networking (LS-6)
- Improving Personal Efficiency (LS-7)
- How to Be a Star at Work (LS-8)
- Oral Communication (LS-9)
- Business Writing (LS-10) normally half to full day
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving (LS-11)
- Personality and Learning-style Typing (LS-12)
- Business Etiquette (LS-13)
- Personal Mission Statements (LS-14)
- Courageous Followership (LS-15)
- Effective Listening (LS-16)
- Working in a Team (LS-17)
- Personal Initiative (LS-18)
- Developing Decision Making (LS-19)
- Supporting Change (LS-20)
- Managing Personal Performance (LS-21)
- Leading a Balanced Life (LS-22)
- Joyology: Living Joyful Lives (LS-23)
- Improving Work Processes (LS-24)
- Building Trust (LS-25)
- Dealing with Difficult Personalities (LS-26)
- The Strength-Based Employee (LS-27) 360-degree feedback reports presented in a one day seminar
The skills needed for one-on-one influence and leadership. These are the skills needed to influence others and many are pertinent to all employees, not just those in management positions. They are also crucial skills to prepare “next-generation” leaders for promotion.
- Understanding Leadership (LO-1)
- Modeling the Way (LO-2)
- Interviewing and Hiring (LO-3)
- Delegating (LO-4)
- Motivating and Empowering Others (LO-5)
- Managing Difficult People (LO-6)
- Resolving Interpersonal Conflict (LO-7)
- Managing Individual Performance (LO-8)
- Coaching and Counseling (LO-9)
- Mentoring (LO-10)
- Crucial Conversations™ Mastery Course (Two Day) (LO-11)
- Crucial Confrontations™ Mastery Course (Two Day) (LO-12)
- The Strength-Based Leader™ w/ feedback reports (One Day) (LO-13)
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People™ (three day program) (LO-14)
- Leading at the Speed of Trust (one or two day) (LO-15)
- Leadership: Great People, Great Teams, Great Results (3 days) (L0-16)
The skills needed to lead and work with teams of 3 or more. Ideal for all administrators and faculty who work in collaborative teams.
- Building Teams (LT-1)
- Leading Meetings (LT-2)
- Goal Setting and Action Planning (Team) (LT-3)
- Resolving Team Conflict (LT-4)
- Negotiating (LT-5)
- Project Management (1 or 2 days) (LT-6)
- Creative Problem Solving (Team) (LT-7)
- Leading Change in your Team (LT-8)
- Cross-gender Communication (LT-9)
- Leading Across Generations (LT-10)
- Creating Team Mission/Vision (LT-11)
- The Attitude Virus: Overcoming Workplace Negativity (LT-12)
- Giving Effective Feedback (LT-13)
- Delivering Effective Training (half day) (LT-14)
- 8 PowerSkills of Effective Presenters (LT-15)
- 7 Habits for Managers (two day FranklinCovey Course) (LT-16)
- Championing Diversity (one day FranklinCovey course) (LT-17)
The skills needed for higher level organizational leadership. Most are around a half day in length or are noted otherwise
- Strategic Thinking (LORG-1)
- Leading Organizational Change (LORG-2)
- Strategic Planning: Turning Plans into Action (LORG-3)
- Creating Vision/Mission Statements (LORG-4)
- Creating Learning Organizations (LORG-5)
- BulletProofing: Avoiding legal pitfalls (LORG-6)
- Six-Sigma/Lean (LORG-7) Multi-day programs
- Networking (Organizational) (LORG-8)
- Building Corporate Culture (LORG-9)
- 4 Disciplines of Execution (multi-stage FranklinCovey program) (LORG-10)
The end purpose of all organizations, including schools, is to provide service in some form, and a main purpose of leadership is to make that happen better. These customer service modules build these skills and are ideal for front office, custodial and food service staff, and all others who directly influence parents, students, and visitors.
- Delivering World-class Customer Service (SA-1)
- Serving Difficult Customers/Co-workers (SA-2)
- Building and Leading a Service Team (SA-3)
- Serving by Phone (SA-4)
- Creating and Maintaining a Service Culture (SA-5)
- Serving the Internal Customer (SA-6)